LISC Day of Service 2012
Live Event - April 20, 2012; 8:00 - 6:00 PM
(Please Note: All times are EST unless otherwise specified.)
On April 20, 2012, LISC is hosting its second annual national Day of Service in honor of National Volunteer Week. Locally and nationally based LISC staff and AmeriCorps members will join community volunteers to wield paintbrushes and shovels and other tools to beautify and improve our neighborhoods.
Volunteerism is an important part of the work we do at LISC, and one more way to show our commitment to the communities where we live and work. A few of the projects LISC team members will be working on are:
- In New York, national and local LISC staff will make a major effort to connect with the community at four sites in the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Manhattan. Volunteering at Northeast Brooklyn Housing Development Corporation, West Harlem Group Assistance, and Banana Kelley Community Improvement Corporation; we are participating in community beautification efforts that will place shovels, paintbrushes and brooms in the hands of volunteers accustomed to calculators, pencils, and spreadsheets. In Brooklyn at the Bedford-Stuyvesant Restoration Corporation, a select group of volunteers is conducting mock interviews with young people as part of a job-readiness training program.
- In Boston, 20 LISC staff, AmeriCorps, and volunteers are tackling disrepair and grime with brooms and paint brushes to help local partner Viet-AID to beautify affordable housing units in the Dorchester neighborhood.
- Cincinnati staff, LISC AmeriCorps members, and volunteers are helping support local farmers market with partner Gabriel’s Place. Fifteen volunteers will work to repair a Greenhouse and to format a community garden spaces in Avondale.
- Six staff in Houston are picking weeds and flattening land in preparation for a KaBoom! playground that local organizing group, Texans Together, are building.
- Twenty Newark and national LISC staff are serving alongside the AmeriCorps team, and using their green thumbs at Peshine Avenue School in Newark. At this site, LISC is partnering with New Jersey Tree Foundation to plant trees and shrubs to beautify the elementary school.
- Sandy Woods Farm in Rhode Island are benefiting from a daylong infusion of 12 LISC staff and AmeriCorps members that are plowing the earth and planting seeds that will provide a food harvest later in the summer and fall.
- Philadelphia LISC staff, local partner, Ready Willing and Able, and university students are forming a gang of 30 to turn some mean streets to clean streets in North Philadelphia, and are cap-stoning their effort with a park clean-up at Wallace Playground in West Philadelphia.
- Eight LISC and AmeriCorps staff in Milwaukee will be cleaning and prepping a site, in the Uptown Neighborhood, where a new community garden will be planted the next day in partnership with Toledo Grows, an organization that has planted and maintained 100 community gardens in Lucas County.
- Virginia LISC Staff joined Greater Fulton and Arts in the Alley to clean up and transform alleys into bright outdooor mural galleries that celebrate the community.
For more information on National Volunteer Week check out http://www.handsonnetwork.org/nationalprograms/signatureevents/nvw
To see President Obama’s proclamation go to http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/04/09/presidential-proclamation-national-volunteer-week-2012.