LISC National
Where We Work

Hillside Neighborhood


Central Hillside is directly uphill from downtown and was part of the original townsite of Duluth in 1857. Its boundaries are Lake Superior to the south, Central Entrance to the north, Mesaba Avenue on the west and 7th Avenue on the east. East Hillside was originally part of the town of Portland, incorporated in 1856, and consolidated as part of Duluth in 1868.

East Hillside is defined by Lake Superior to the south, Skyline Parkway to the north, between 6th and 15th Avenues East. Many historic buildings from the late 1800’s and early 1900’s have been preserved and renovated in both neighborhoods, including a number on the National Register of Historic Places, e.g. Kitchi Gammi Club and the old Central High School (now the school district’s administrative headquarters).

The Hillside is known for its view of Lake Superior and the harbor and many beautiful parks. Close to the University of Minnesota Duluth and the College of St. Scholastica, the Hillside is primarily residential with commercial districts located along 4th Street, 6th Ave. East and E. Superior and London Road. The medical district includes St. Luke’s on London Road between 1st and 2nd Street, and Essentia on 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Streets. In the past few years, the Damiano Center, Sacred Heart Music Center, Alicia’s Place and the Gimaajii Mino Bimaadizimin (former YWCA) have been renovated and are now all on the National Register of Historic Places. In addition, both medical centers are making major investments in new buildings and expanding their Hillside operations.

Hillside Revitalization Plan

We believe that every Duluthian has the right to live in a neighborhood with good housing, good schools, a safe and healthy environment, and economic vitality at the family and the community level. We also believe that people should be engaged in the planning and implementation of projects that make that happen for themselves and their neighbors.

View Work Plan


Center for Changing Lives

Lutheran Social Services broke ground on the Center for Changing Lives in May 2016. The 27,000-square foot building in Duluth's Hillside neighborhood will provide a central location for at-risk young people to find safety, support, and guidance. It will feature transitional and permanent supportive housing, a teen clinic and healthcare, counseling services, life-skills development, and more.

Duluth LISC was the first lender to assist with crucial predevelopment funding. Its advocacy has helped pull resources together and bring the project to fruition. 

“We are grateful for LISC's remarkable advocacy and partnership...Consolidation of services at the Center for Changing Lives will accelerate already successful youth programming and strengthen community partnerships.”
— Jennifer Julsrud, Director Center for Changing Lives