Technical Assistance & Capacity Building
Community organizations have the passion to revitalize their neighborhoods and know much of what they need to make it happen. Houston LISC’s role is to fill gaps by bringing financial resources, serving as a technical expert and creating partnerships to give a boost to the community’s efforts. We partner with and enable community organizations to be more efficient, effective and lasting by offering best practices, successful models and resources.
Acting as a Catalyst
Houston LISC offers a wide range of technical assistance and capacity-building resources to local nonprofit organizations as they launch and grow initiatives. We help make tackling new types of programs and projects easier by offering national models and resources. We support organizations as they leverage funding opportunities, navigate complex housing regulations, develop comprehensive housing strategies, strengthen organizational practices, and increase their ability to serve as an effective neighborhood partner.
Houston LISC provides the following examples of technical assistance and capacity building support:
- Leadership training for neighborhood residents and staff members at community development corporations (CDCs) and community-based organizations (CBOs) to build organizational capacity. Houston LISC sponsors workshops and training on current issues impacting community development to ensure the sustainability of the nonprofit community development sector.
- Project-related technical assistance for affordable housing, community and child care facilities, charter schools, commercial centers and youth football fields to impact the physical environment. From early site selection to intense negotiations with city government, CDCs look to Houston LISC as an essential partner and intermediary that advocates on behalf of nonprofit developers.
- Programmatic technical assistance through the program development process, community engagement, and strategy development.
- Organizational technical assistance, including direct consulting, referrals to other organizations when appropriate, and targeted grantor engagement of consultants for specific projects.
- LISC AmeriCorps Program provides human capital support to organizations while also helping to train the future community development workforce.