LISC Jacksonville Seeking Community Development Program Officer
The Jacksonville office of the Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) seeks a Community Development Officer to manage our community development and capacity building work related to advancing economic growth in urban core neighborhoods adjacent to Downtown. Our Jacksonville Urban Core Initiative provides a multi-year, holistic and resident-driven approach to community and economic development. It began in Jacksonville in 2019 and currently includes seven neighborhoods. This position reports to the Executive Director.
Position Description Community Development Officer (Program Manager)
Position Location Jacksonville, FL
Job Classification Exempt / Full Time
Reports to Executive Director
What We Do
With residents and partners, LISC forges resilient and inclusive communities of opportunity across America – great places to live, work, visit, do business and raise families.
Strategies We Pursue
Equip talent in underinvested communities with the skills and credentials to compete successfully for quality income and wealth opportunities.
Invest in businesses, housing and other community infrastructure to catalyze economic, health, safety and educational mobility for individuals and communities.
Strengthen existing alliances while building new collaborations to increase our impact on the progress of people and places.
Develop leadership and the capacity of partners to advance our work together.
Drive local, regional, and national policy and system changes that foster broadly shared prosperity and well-being.
Over the last 40 years, LISC and its affiliates have invested approximately $20 billion in businesses, affordable housing, health, educational mobility, community and recreational facilities, public safety, employment and other projects that help to revitalize and stabilize underinvested communities. Headquartered in New York City, LISC’s reach spans the country from East coast to West coast in 32 markets with offices extending from Buffalo to San Francisco. Visit us at www.lisc.org.
LISC Jacksonville has an established reputation in the city for developing and delivering a community and economic development approach that meaningfully engages residents and stakeholders in setting a vision for their neighborhood and implementing that vision through aligned programs, lending and investments. Through the Jacksonville Urban Core initiative, we bring our array of investments and programs to our focus communities and build capacity for the implementation efforts. This position will manage the initiative and work collaboratively with the Economic Development Officer who is leading the employment and entrepreneurship initiatives for the focus neighborhoods that comprise the initiative.
- Build and maintain mutually trusting relationships with convening (“lead”) agencies and other key organizations in focus neighborhoods to support implementation of community-led Quality-of-Life Agreements (neighborhood plans), while facilitating a close working relationship among all.
- Similarly maintain trusting relationships with relevant municipal officials, consultants, contractors, community leaders, residents and other stakeholders in focus neighborhoods to implement projects, programs and policy that best supports community goals. Assist lead agency in identifying and recruiting necessary government, funder and other citywide stakeholders to participate.
- Work with the LISC team to track and improve an ongoing assessment of community capacity for focus neighborhoods, and develop/execute tailored LISC work plans for capacity building and implementation based on these assessments for focus neighborhoods.
- Develop and coordinate leadership development training program by working with a team of consultants and community partners.
- Prepare, monitor, track and manage LISC investments, performance and outcomes. Hire and manage consultants and their budgets.
- Identify organizational capacity needs of community partners, such as strategic planning, board development, financial management, fiscal management, human resources, program and operational development, and facilitate TA via other LISC staff or referrals.
- Facilitate and convene meetings, trainings, workshops, information sessions, orientations to build partners’ capacity and access to resources.
- Provide hands-on support and facilitation assistance to community based organizations to conduct an inclusive community driven engagement processes resulting in a prioritized neighborhood action plan, implementation projects, clear implementation steps/responsibilities and measureable outcomes.
- Prepare and manage program budgets, in consultation with the Executive Director and relevant team members.
- Collaborate with other staff members to raise additional resources for the program. Prepare funding proposals, applications, reports, presentations, and tours as required by funders, investors and others.
- Work with communications staff to strategically communicate success of planning and implementation efforts both within and beyond communities to further community goals.
- Assist in promoting LISC’s lending resources and help train/assist other LISC staff in effective marketing and strategic outreach.
- Refer housing developers and other real estate opportunities to LISC lending team as appropriate.
- Assume responsibility for special projects and other assignments, as needed.
Key Qualifications and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in urban studies, planning, public health, public policy, social work, real estate, community economic development or related fields.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in community development and/or neighborhood-focused support.
- Strong managerial and facilitation skills. Five years of program management experience preferred.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team setting.
- Ability to work collaboratively with co-workers and representatives from the nonprofit, philanthropic, public and corporate sectors.
- Capacity to work simultaneously on multiple tasks and projects, set priorities for a challenging workload, and be a positive, solution-oriented professional.
- Familiarity with Jacksonville neighborhoods is a plus.
- Spanish language fluency is a plus.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, particularly Microsoft Excel.
- Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail.
- Regional travel required.
The position is based in Jacksonville, Florida.
LISC offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits
Submit cover letter and resume to Janet Owens at email@example.com and include “Community Development Officer” in the Subject line of the email. No phone calls, please.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
LISC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION