Affordable Housing Loans
We want your projects to work
LISC has a variety of flexible lending products designed to help local groups bring development projects to fruition. Our loans cover every phase of development, from predevelopment to permanent financing. We are committed to working together with developers to get affordable housing projects done. Below is a summary of what we offer.
Please keep in mind that terms are subject to change and all loans must go through underwriting and credit approval process.
Loans for housing
- Rental Housing: This financing is for the preservation and development of affordable multifamily rental housing as well as market rate housing in certain markets that serves a broader community development purpose.
- For Sale Housing: Often partnering with public sector housing agencies and development entities, this financing is designed to foster home ownership for low-income residents and families, and includes new construction, home repair, and manufactured housing.
Loans for nonprofit organizations
- Nonprofit /Other: LISC provides working capital lines of credit and a variety of financing products for the development and/or improvement of buildings occupied by our nonprofit partners in their service provisio
Lending by type of product
- Predevelopment: Early stage investments in planning, design, and environmental and structural assessments for projects that are proceeding to construction. Proceeds are used to pay due diligence expenses, deposits and other predevelopment costs.
- Acquisition: Financing to help pay the purchase price and closing costs for property acquisition. These loans are generally made when construction and permanent financing have been secured or preliminarily committed.
- Construction: Loans to projects, either as a sole source of financing or in concert with other lenders. Construction loans are provided for hard and soft building and improvement costs, including new construction, substantial or moderate renovations, and leasehold improvements.
- Mini-Permanent: Longer-term, partially amortizing loans for certain projects, including rental housing, community facilities and economic development projects. LISC’s mini-permanent loan is typically originated as a construction loan that converts to mini-perm when certain conditions are met, such as issuance of a certificate of occupancy.
- Permanent: Long-term financing or refinancing of acquisition, construction and renovation projects in low-income areas or that serve low-income populations for several project types, including the rental housing, charter schools, health centers, commercial and nonprofit asset classes.
- Bridge: Financing to bridge the timing gap between expenses needing current payment and receipt of cash from committed or anticipated sources of capital not yet available, including capital campaign commitments, public contracts or note proceeds, earned developer fees and tax credit capital contributions.
- Working Capital: Financing to fill credit gaps for our strongest borrowers by providing flexible working capital lines of credit to meet organizational cash flow needs or pay project-based expenses.