New Markets Support Company (NMSC) is seeking a Staff Accountant to be based in Chicago. The Staff Accountant will perform a variety of accounting functions for assigned entities under NMSC’s management. Responsibilities include maintaining entities’ general ledgers, cash reconciliations, billing and collections, quarterly and annual financial reporting, assistance with the year-end audit and tax preparation, as well as providing information to internal and external clients related to the entities managed. The ideal candidate will have a solid accounting foundation; a strong attention to detail and demonstrate initiative toward achieving goals.
Key responsibilities include:
- Prepare and analyze quarterly financial statements and related workpapers for an assigned portfolio of reporting entities, ensuring that all documentation meets departmental and company standards and reporting is completed within required deadlines.
- Review closing documents for new entities and loans to gain a thorough understanding of the loan terms, fee structure and reporting requirements for new entities.
- Monitor cash activity, ensuring all cash transfers are done timely and within the rules and regulations of the New Market Tax Credit (NMTC) program. Prepare bank reconciliations, wire authorization requests and perform other treasury related duties as needed.
- Administer NMSC’s Accounts Payable process, processing vendor invoices, payment batches and performing monthly reconciliations.
- Communicate effectively with clients, partners, borrowers and tax and audit preparers to help ensure reporting related information is received or prepared timely.
- Communicate interdepartmentally to ensure all financial and operational schedules, closing legal documents, and underwriting models include current data and the accounting for each entity is consistent with agreements and regulations.
- Complete special projects as assigned and identify special projects that will benefit the company and department.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in accounting.
- One year of accounting experience, internships included
- Strong analytical and practical problem-solving skills, with strong attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Self-starter who can work independently and knows when to reach out for help.
- Ability to work in a team environment, on multiple projects simultaneously, managing time and resources to complete work efficiently and within given timeframes.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite software, with strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel
Desired knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Experience with QuickBooks and Microsoft Dynamics.
- CPA designation preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of GAAP, IRS, and tax accounting issues as they relate to the NMTC industry.
Submit resume and cover letter to Rosa Hall via email to rhall@nefinc..org.
NEF/NMSC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER